Trafalgar Square will host a vibrant, bustling night market dedicated to Malaysian food, music, culture and entertainment on Friday 18th September for its sixth consecutive year!
Visitors will be able to see, smell and samples treats from the country from the best Malaysian eateries from all over the UK. Each restaurant will be serving up a handpicked selection of some of their most popular dishes – none of which will cost more than £5.
Our top dishes and drinks to try this year are:
- Penang Assam Laksa – mouth-watering, spicy-sour fish noodle soup, with poached mackerel, tamarind, chilli, mint, lemongrass and pineapple
- Pulled Beef Rendang Wrap – a fragrant Malay slow-cooked curry flavoured with lemongrass and coconut in a soft wrap
- Sirap Bandung – a colourful drink of condensed milk flavoured with rose cordial, especially popular at Malay weddings
- Mee Rebus – egg noodles in a sweet curry sauce made from sweet potatoes, shrimps and peanuts. Try them with some Satay – they work particularly well together
- Malay Kuih – sweet steamed treats, flavoured with sugar and coconut and traditionally served at festivals
- Malaysian Chicken Curry – a delicious combination of coconut, lemongrass and chillies, traditionally from Penang and served with Nasi Lemak (coconut rice)
Live cooking demonstrations by celebrity chefs will show you exactly how to recreate these tasty dishes at home and you’ll be able to pick up the authentic ingredients with a wealth of traditional producers on hand. This year some of the best-known Malaysian chefs in the UK will be providing cooking demonstrations in the interactive cooking area to teach budding Malay chefs a thing or two.
Malaysia Night, Trafalgar Square. Friday 18 September 2015. Nearest tube: Charing Cross. 12:00pm to 22:00pm.Free entry