The humble cuppa is having a moment, check out these tea cocktail recipes from Hope & Glory tea….
ENGLISH BREAKFAST – ENGLISH BREAKFAST TEA COCKTAIL
Full bodied black teas such as Hope & Glory English Breakfast work fantastically well in cocktails because their dominant flavours are allowed to come through, even when mixed with spirits. Gin & tea – how frightfully British!
- 4 Hope & Glory English Breakfast teabags (or 4 tsp Hope & Glory English Breakfast tea leaves)
- 500ml (18oz) boiled water
- 200gm caster sugar
- 400ml (14oz) dry gin
- 2 x lemons
- INFUSE teabags in 400ml of boiled water, for 5 minutes
- REMOVE teabags, or strain if loose, refrigerate to cool.
- MIX 200gm caster sugar and 100ml boiling water to make a sugar syrup, allow to cool.
- COMBINE cooled syrup & tea with 400ml of dry gin and 200ml of fresh lemon juice in a jug or teapot.
- POUR into a glass or teacup. Garnish with fine slices of lemon. Serves 8.
PEPPERMINT – PEPPERMINT COOLER
The British use mint to lend a summer-garden freshness to drinks, the most famous being Pimms & Lemonade of course. Our Hope & Glory peppermint cooler will leave you feeling refreshed any time of year.
- 1 Hope & Glory Peppermint pyramid or 1 tsp Hope & Glory peppermint tea leaves
- 100ml (4oz) boiled water
- 50ml (2oz) vodka
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 lime wedge (squeezed)
- INFUSE pyramid in 100ml of boiled water for 5 minutes
- REMOVE pyramid, or strain if loose, refrigerate to cool.
- COMBINE all ingredients. Serve over ice and garnish with mint and lime. Serves 1.
MASALA CHAI – BLOODY CHAI
Hope & Glory Masala Chai, with its rich complexity of flavours, adds a spicy punch and an Indian twist to this savoury “day after the night before “British favourite.
- 1 Hope & Glory Masala Chai teabag or 1 tsp Hope & Glory Masala Chai tea leaves
- 50ml (2oz) tequila
- 1 part fresh carrot juice
- 1 part spiced tomato juice (Bloody Mary Mix)
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ lime
- INFUSE teabag in tequila for 2-3 days (in an airtight container, stored in a dark area)
- REMOVE teabag, or strain if loose.
- ADD infused tequila to a tall glass with ice, fill rest of glass with half carrot juice and half Bloody Mary mix.
- SPLASH in Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco Sauce and the juice of half a lime. Mix with a spoon, and sprinkle black pepper on top. Garnish with a stick of celery. Serves 1.
Photo credit: Chloe Ride